Medical ear piercing in four steps
The images depict simultaneous ear piercing. The steps are the same as when you pierce one ear at a time.
You don't have contact allergies?
That’s great! Then we can help you avoid them in the future as well. Allergies can develop at any time in life and a piercing makes you more vulnerable to inappropriate materials such as nickel, gold, cobalt, epoxy, etc. That is why Blomdahl is so careful to use only the safest materials.
Skin friendly materials – even for those with allergy.
Our piercing earrings are developed in consultation with skin specialists and suitable for everyone, even if one already has an allergy. You can choose between piercing earrings made from carefully selected plastic or titanium of pure medical quality. The coating is applied only to the parts of the jewellery that do not come into close contact with your skin.
Piercing earrings for optimal healing
Blomdahl piercing earrings are not like ordinary earrings. They are specially designed to facilitate the healing and so that you can easily change to regular earrings after the healing period.
The earring back is the key to optimal healing
When air can circulate around a new piercing, it will heal better. That is why the earring backs on Blomdahl piercing earrings are always fixed at the tip of the post, where they also encapsulate the tip. The earring backs cannot be moved like on regular earrings. That way the air can always circulate around the new piercing.
Airy healing with longer posts
In order for the new piercing to be kept airy and to heal better, it is important that the piercing earring has the right length. But all earlobes differ in thickness. For slightly thicker earlobes Blomdahl has developed piercing earrings with extra long posts.
Safer to change earrings
After the healing period, you can remove the piercing earrings and change to other earrings. However, the skin that has grown within the holes is still thin and delicate and can easily tear. It takes up to a year before the holes have healed completely. The holes have also a tendency to shrink. Blomdahl’s piercing earrings have been designed so that the holes will be slightly wider in the beginning and thereby not get so easily damaged when you change earrings.
When having your ears pierced
Before having your ears pierced, you will have to attest that you have received our written aftercare instructions and that you accept the conditions stated within.
The conditions are:
- · I am of legal age. Parental/guardian consent is required if I am under legal age.
- · I am/minor is in good health and do not have any ailments which makes it recommendable to refrain from ear piercing.
- · After the ear piercing, the holes are my own/guardian's responsibility. A new piercing is the same as a small wound. Therefore it is important to take care of it correctly during the healing period, so it does not get infected. By following the aftercare instructions I minimize the risk of infection.
Aftercare instructions – During the healing period
- Never touch your ears with unclean hands.
Wash your newly pierced ears (on both sides) thoroughly twice a day. Do not remove the earrings when cleansing.
- When showering/washing your hair, use liquid soap and rinse thoroughly with clean running water. Dry with a Kleenex or Q-tip.
Supplementary cleansing is done with Blomdahl Piercing Aftercare cleansing swabs, which are gentle on the skin. The swabs make it possible to clean between your ears and the earrings/earring backs. Allow to air dry. Use a new cleansing swab for each ear, each time. Note! Do not clean with alcohol.
How to cleanse (2 min)
- Make sure that the area around the holes are kept clean, dry and airy at all times.
- Cover your ears when applying make up, hair spray, spray perfume, hair-dye, etc.
- Take extra care when you are putting on/pulling off clothing over your head, in order to prevent the earrings from getting caught.
- Bathing in a swimming pool, lake or sea: wait for as long as possible after the piercing and avoid keeping your head under water. When you come out of the water, cleanse with liquid soap or with Blomdahl Piercing Aftercare cleansing swabs – see point 2 above.
- After approx. 6 weeks (cartilage approx. 12 weeks) you can change to new earrings. This is how to remove the ear piercing earrings: wash your hands and ears thoroughly. With one hand, take hold of the jewellery part (front) of the ear piercing earring. With the other hand, wriggle the earring back, back and forth, until you feel it loosens. Carefully remove the ear piercing earrings and put in new, clean earrings. How to remove the ear piercing earrings (1 min)
It takes up to a year before the holes are completely healed. Hence consider the following:
- Always wear earrings. If you go without, the holes can shrink and/or close completely.
- Take extra care when changing earrings. The skin that has grown within the holes is still thin and delicate and can easily tear, which may cause an infection. Therefore, always make sure to wash your earrings and your hands before the change, and make sure that the area around the holes is kept clean, dry and airy. If you use earrings with earring backs, these should not be pressed tightly against the back of the ear.
- The risk for developing a contact allergy is at its greatest during the first year after ear piercing. This is why it is extra important to wear safe earrings during this time. In consultation with skin specialists, Blomdahl has developed skin friendly jewellery suitable for everybody and especially for those who have just pierced their ears.
IMPORTANT! Redness and/or swelling and/or pain and/or rashes are indicative of a possible infection. If the hole is placed in the soft part of the ear (ear lobe), remove the earring and cleanse/disinfect. If there is no improvement the following day, contact your doctor. If the hole is placed in the cartilage part of the ear, remove the earring, cleanse/disinfect and seek immediate medical attention.